- If you make too much – freeze it.
- Have leftovers for lunch the next day. Most foods last longer than you’d think.
- Don’t throw out foods that have passed their best before date – This only tells you that it isn’t as fresh as it could be but there is nothing actually wrong with it.
- Weigh foods so you only use the amount you really need.
- Walk to and from the supermarket – If you have to physically carry it home you won’t want to buy so much.
Number 5 is my favourite. I started doing my food shop on the way home from the gym (which I walk to) as it was just convenient. I don’t buy half as much as when I’ve got the car because I’m consciously thinking of how heavy it will be to carry. It is also extra exercise, and good exercise at that. The walk is great, low impact aerobic exercise and the carrying is resistance training at its very basic. If you consider how heavy bags of potatoes and tins of beans can be, it is a very simple yet effective way of increasing your daily/weekly activity level!
200g red lentils
2 large carrots
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
375ml vegetable stock
- Heat oil in pan
- Add chopped leek and brown
- Add cumin, coriander and chillies
- Chop carrots and add to pan
- Add vegetable stock and lentils and bring to the boil
- Add tomato puree (however much you fancy)
- Leave to simmer until lentils are cooked (follow packet instructions)
You may need to keep adding a bit more water to it to make sure it doesn’t dry out. This will serve at least 4 people, or you could freeze it and feed yourself with it 4 times which is what I tend to do. Makes a nice, tasty and easy lunch to re-heat in the microwave at work with some chunky bread.
Happy New Year and welcome to Organic Strength and Fitness.
Follow me on my journey to an organic lifestyle. I have been trying to incorporate organic foods into my diet this past year and this year I aim to go one step further. I have no doubt that this will take much longer than just 2017 but you’ve got to start somewhere haven’t you?
I will try and keep you updated on all foods I find that are organic and where I have found them. I want to post recipes and, as I am a keen fitness enthusiast I will also keep you informed of all my trials and tribulations in the gym.